Thursday, February 23, 2012

You don't need a ‘status’ to be an actor: John Abraham


He's one who revels in his stardom, but breaks away from starry trappings. He's a star, but willingly denies himself a starry life. Yes, even in worn-out denims, a plain tee and chappals, John 'Action' Abraham, with his dashing good looks, can make your jaw drop.

Nearly a decade in the industry, he still wants to be the bindaas Bandra boy. At a book launch (titled In A Bubble of Time), penned by his cousin, John talks exclusively to zoOm about superstardom, yet, not wanting to be a superstar.

It is believed that stars live their life in a bubble.
I don't think so. I know everyone makes a big deal about stardom, but I lead a very simple life. I was an outsider yesterday, today I'm an insider. But my life hasn't changed. I take a rickshaw; my parents take a bus to reach places. You don't need a fancy car or a 'status' to be an actor. I strive to live a middle-class life.

Homosexuality in Dostana, sperm donation in Vicky Donor, have you vowed to take up tabooed subjects?
You know, sperm donation is such a taboo in India. For men, it is an ego issue; infertility isn't spoken about in a healthy way. So I am hoping this film changes things and people start talking about surrogacy and sperm donation.

Aamir recently spoke openly about surrogacy...
Aamir is the perfect person to endorse such a cause - or any brand for that matter. He's the most credible person I know.

Would you ever write a book... An autobiography, perhaps?
I don't have that much of a legacy to pen down. Not as of now, at least. I feel like I've just started the race. Let's see what I achieve in life.

With your good looks, you could find a fit in Hollywood...
I don't want to do a full-fledged Hollywood production. I'd rather do something in Bollywood that later goes international. That would be something I would be proud of.

Jism turned into a brand with its sequel; do you wish you were a part of it?
Dhoom is my biggest brand. Hrithik took Dhoom 2 to another level and I'm sure Aamir will only crank it up. It's important to have been part of the brand in some way.

What about working with the Bhatts?
Mahesh Bhatt is the reason for my success in Bollywood. He once told me that I might not become a superstar, but I'll leave a mark. I will always cherish that comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment