Sunday, February 12, 2012

I never refused to meet Taurani: Deepika Padukone


 Deepika Padukone has been at the receiving end of producer Ramesh Taurani's ire.

The producer is upset because he thinks she has walked out of 'Race 2' to do a film with Rajinikanth in the South. He has called her "unethical" and even filed a complaint with the Cine and TV Artistes Association (CINTAA), and is threatening to have her banned for her "unprofessional behaviour."

The actress, who has remained tight-lipped so far, presents her side of the story.

You have managed to upset the mild-mannered Taurani...

I have tremendous respect for Rameshji and that was never my intention. I feel very bad about opting out of the film, but I have no other option. It was a very hard decision, but I had to make it as the dates kept going back and forth and I have other commitments too that I have to live up to.


Are you aware that he has filed a complaint against you? 

Yes. They have asked me for my comments and I will be sending the same shortly. He alleges that you left the film after the shooting began? The film has been delayed for one-and-a-half years. I adjusted my dates all this time. And I would still do it, but now those dates are committed to other films. It's a genuine problem. I wasted four months last year that I had kept aside for this film, but now my other films are starting and I can't adjust more.


How could you allot the same dates to different producers? 

I haven't. My contract with TIPS was till 2011. I still wanted to do 'Race 2' despite the delay, but now my dates are clashing with other films. And much as I want to, there is nothing I can do about it.

Like the Rajinikanth film? 

That film was signed long ago. They just chose to make the announcement now.

Taurani says you refused to even meet him... 

I never refused to meet him. I was not in the country, so I suggested he meet my managers. That day, I landed at 7am, and I had to shoot for the climax of "Cocktail" at 9am, and I told him that I would meet him after the shoot. But he came over on the sets and I explained my reasons for not being able to do the film.

Also, you agreed to do the film almost two years ago. A lot has changed since. From the styling that was planned, to the kind of films you would want to do at this stage, right?

You know, it is a fantastic role. And I think that any actress would be lucky to do it.

Hasn't a lot changed in the film in the interim? Sanjay Dutt and Bipasha Basu have joined the cast when there was no place for them in the original script... 

Even I have read about this in the papers. I wasn't told officially.

No comments:

Post a Comment