Sunday, February 5, 2012

I hope to direct the third Tintin movie: Steven Spielberg


Hollywood filmmaker Steven Spielberg, who hopes to direct the sequels to the Tintin movie, tells BT that he is fascinated by history and talks about his upcoming epic war movie.

There are reports that you are working on the sequel to The Adventures of Tintin?
I'm not going to say which stories have been chosen for director Peter Jackson's sequel as Peter and I agreed not to spill the beans. The script for the third film is being written now. When Peter is done shooting The Hobbit, he'll begin his work for the film and I'm very excited about it. I had great fun shooting the first part and I hope I'll be able to direct the third one too.

When did your fascination with war stories and the unsung heroes begin?
I've always worried that history is so ephemeral that we have no room to look back at our past. Youngsters have a tough time looking back at history as they are busy consuming information and contemporary culture. So I make a lot of movies about history. I think it's very important that we need to know about our forefathers and their lives.

Tell us about your upcoming epic war movie, War Horse.
This film is based on a children's novel set before and during World War I. I happened to see a play adapted from the book and was so touched by it that I decided the story has to reach the audience through a film. There's a situation where two characters help someone trapped in barbed wire. It was a fleeting moment in the play, but it made a profound impact on me. Richard Curtis (who wrote the screenplay for the film) and I were inspired by the scene and decided to go ahead with a movie.

There are reports that you broke down while watching the play in London.
My wife and I got a chance to see the play for the first time in UK. The best part of the play was the silent communication between man and animal. The play indeed made me cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment