Thursday, February 2, 2012

Sehwag or Kohli can lead the Test side: Azharuddin


NEW DELHI: In an exclusive interview, former Indian captain-turned-politician Mohammed Azharuddin speaks about coming to terms with losing his son, his involvement in politics and his advice to the beleagured Men in Blue.

After retirement from cricket, it has been four years of being a part of active politics. How has life changed for you? 

Nothing much has changed except for the fact that I get to meet more people now. When you are playing cricket, it keeps you more confined to the game. Meeting people from all over India and from different walks of life is a new experience that I am enjoying thoroughly.

If not politics, post your cricketing career, what would you've done? 

I would have continued with my gym business. But since I am into politics now, it has become a full-time job.

Nowadays, every party seems to be adopting popular Bollywood tracks for the poll campaigns. Do you think such things really work? 

The world is changing; we can't expect the same sort of electoral campaigns that existed 10 years ago. People try out different things to connect with the voters. But ultimately, the work and development done for the janta is what translates into votes.

On the personal front, it must have been difficult for you to come to terms with the sudden demise of your son...

It was not easy. I don't think his memory will ever be erased from my mind. I hope such a thing never happens to any parent. But, you have to get on with life. It requires a lot of patience. I am thankful to Allah that he has given me patience to carry on. People say time heals, but I have seen my son growing up... there are memories that will always remain with me.


It is difficult to prevent youngsters from indulging in their craze for speed. What do you think can be done? 

It is the responsibility of parents to not let their children buy those deadly machines. But for parents, the job becomes equally difficult if they have kids who are not scared of death. Such children want to do stunts. It is the thrill and the enjoyment that matters to them.

On to cricket, there has been much talk about senior players responsible for Team India's bad performance in Australia. What do you have to say to this? 

I believe we need players who can perform well. Senior players have a good reputation. But the time has come for youngsters to be given a chance. Even after the team lost the third Test match, young players were not given that chance. Ultimately, it is the Board who has to decide on such things.


Dhoni has said he is open to being replaced as a Test captain. How justified do you find the decision? 

Dhoni undoubtedly has been a good captain. He has placed the Indian team in a good position in both Test and One Day cricket. But it is also a fact that his performance in the Test series against Australia was disappointing. Let BCCI decide on the matter. I personally feel there should be separate captains for each form of cricket.

Who do you think can be considered next for Test captaincy? 

Virendra Sehwag or Virat Kohli could lead the side well.

Like other cricketers, would you ever like to do TV shows or movies?

I don't have any inhibitions about doing TV. I am open to doing reality shows too, if something good comes my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment